Sunday, December 27, 2009

Rambling while gobbling


Peace out to my diet!


Edible, adj.:  Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm.  ~Ambrose Bierce


I'm back. Let's get ready to ramble while I gobble up.


I remember Joey Reyes of Powerspeak saying that one of the secrets to stay happy and positive throughout the day is to avoid reading the newspapers. But I love newspapers, e.g. broadsheets and tabloids. He further said that the daily newspaper is composed of more than a hundred bad news. I totally agree. More often than not, the bad news outweigh the good news. 


I scanned today's The Philippine Star front page, and one story gave me a jolt.  The news heading is this: Al-Qaeda link seen in failed try to blow up US airliner. It happened on December 25, 2009, Christmas Day, but this is the first time I read about it. I hooked up with my fling* once again and found Time Magazine's feature Terror on Flight 253: Does it Fit al-Qaeda's Pattern?  When will the acts of terrorism end?  No one can tell. What made the story stick to my mind is the fact that the airline  and airport involved are Northwest Airlines and Detroit Metropolitan Airport (IATA code: DTW), respectively. The airline responsible for my first trip abroad and the airport where I experienced the freezing cold air of Uncle Sam.


BTW, I learned something new today. Polvoron has an English name which is native shortbread cookies. According to www.spanishdict.com, polvoron refers to a very crumbly shortbread biscuit. Plus, it's a masculine noun. Weird. I thought anything which falls under the field of pastries is feminine. Hahaha!



*Google

No comments: