Thursday, February 18, 2010

Need I Say More?

This blog was born out of my boredom stage in the corporate world, and as I continue to document my daily musings in my personal space, challenges from left and right came to disturb my peace.


We all know that the corporate world is a diverse community. We all came from diferent backgrounds, grew up in different households, ate different kinds of food, experienced different struggles and problems. All these molded us to be our own unique and distinct selves co-mingling with all types of personalities. An individual's personality is not without imperfections or quirks. One popular personality quirk known as superiority complex can be evident in some people. Some know how to hide it, control it or simply forget about it. Some, however, choose to cling to this annoying quirk as if their worth depends on it. My opinion? They are downright pathetic to the core.


Let's be definite on this through Wikipedia's help.

"The term 'superiority complex', in everyday usage, refers to an overly high opinion of oneself; in psychology, it refers to the unrealistic and exaggerated belief that one is better than others."
I know several individuals who "fit to a tee" to the definition. They have an overly high opinion of themselves, and that characteristic can really be annoying if done repeatedly. Yes, you may think that you're bright enough but please, do not be too vain about it. Instead, keep it to yourself. Do not ever, ever, ever think that you will always be on the top of the heap; otherwise, I will just reecho my first opinion. You are downright pathetic. Think again, for Christ's sakes!



"Those exhibiting the superiority complex have a self-image of supremacy versus those with inferiority complexes; who may project their feelings of inferiority onto others who threaten their facade of superiority."
Again, it will only appear as a rehash of my first observation if I blabber some more. I stand by what I previously said.


"Those with superiority complexes may garner a negative image in those around them, as they are not concerned with the opinions of others about themselves."


I am a ringside witness to this. Inasmuch as I try to tolerate this kind of people and try to understand them as well, my tolerance has limits. Most often than not, other people's observations and my first impression would match. I think I should try paying attention to my gut feel. Negativity is such a heavy emotion. Besides, who would want to mingle with people who suddenly weigh heavy in your eyes and mind, people who think less of you and belittle your capacity without them knowing you first? No one.


"Those with a superiority complex may speak as if they are all-knowing and better than others. But ultimately they do not care if others think so or not, and will not care if others tell them so. They simply won't listen to, and don't care about, those who disagree."
"Know-It-All" type of people is such a pain in the ass. As often discussed in self-help books, these people had actually experienced some hang-ups in life and, as a result, they have low regard of themselves. In order to escape from reality, these people will assert themselves so strongly to others to the point of being a "know-it-all" just to keep their hang-ups under wraps. Yes, most of us experienced some lowest point, but again, it is a matter of seeing the big picture. I therefore conclude that superiority complex sufferers are close-minded, if not horrendously insensitive.

"Behaviors related to this in a superiority complex may include an exaggerated opinion of one’s worth and abilities, unrealistically high expectations in goals and achievements for oneself and others, persistent attempts to correct others (regardless of whether or not they are actually correct), a tendency to discredit others' opinions and over-forcefulness aimed at dominating those considered as weaker or less important."
Bingo! Need I say more?

 

Actually, when I encounter superiority complex sufferers, I try my very best to really, really, really understand them and know where they are coming from. Instead of hating them and adding to the negative energy which already envelops their whole being, I pray. I pray that they will simply shut the H-E-double-hockey-sticks up as a favor to themselves.

No comments: