Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rent: No Day But Today

If only money will keep rolling in and notwithstanding the story lines, I would prefer watching theater performances/musicals than movies. I strongly think that stage actors are much more impressive than film actors since the former have no room for errors while on stage. Raw, God-given talent at its best.


Then I heard the buzz that Broadway musical RENT is making a comeback in Manila. I was warned that balcony tickets are seriously running out at Ticketnet branches, hence I had my moment of panic. The available balcony tickets will be for the closing night, February 28. Three weeks before the date, I got hold of the precious tickets from an agent of 9 Works Theatrical, the theater company responsible for RENT production.

RENT was really worth waiting for. The story is nothing but ordinary. But what makes RENT extraordinary is the superb cast. Aside from the fact that the setting is New York, one of my favorite places so far, most of the stage actors/actresses performed well to the audience delight. Overall, I appreciate the songs maybe because they have been playing in my playlist for a month. "Seasons of Love" has been the target of my LSS lately. 

First off, I love Carla Guevara-Laforteza's performance as Maureen Johnson in "Over The Moon" and "Take Me or Leave Me" duet with Jenny Villegas as Joanne Jefferson. Truth to tell, I'm a bit disappointed that she was replaced by Rachel Alejandro in the upcoming musical "Avenue Q". Carla was simply amazing.

Second, I think Roger and Mimi (played by Gian Magdangal and Nicole Asensio, respectively) did justice to the song "Light My Candle", but the pair failed to exude a convincing chemistry to the audience. Oh well. We saw Gian's wife, former Viva Hot Babe Sheree, in the audience and she has a striking resemblance to Nicole's character Mimi. You know, petite, colored curly hair, sexy make-up. So there.

Third, Job Bautista did an excellent performance as drag queen Angel with HIV.

Last but not the least, I commend Ring Antonio's powerful voice in "Seasons of Love". She reminds me of Chaka Khan and Frenchie Dy.

Kudos to the whole cast for superb performance overall, for making us aware of the struggles of LGBT under the scare of HIV/AIDS and, most of all, for making the audience realize that life is meant to be lived to the fullest. Carpe diem! No day but today!

No comments: